Sunday, November 29, 2009

I've Been Waiting To Hear These Words All Session...

I was bound and determined to pour my heart and soul in to this assignment, the Vanilla Walk. There was no way I was going to have a knee pop, a slipping foot, an unbelievable bob to the hips. I stayed up late the night before (5AM to me exact!) polishing and tracking each knee, adjusting, retracking, readjusting, retracking... you get the point. I knew I did fairly well, but I also knew Mark had an eye that would catch those things I couldn't and he'd make sure I was aware of all the little things. Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that he critiques me that hard. In fact, quite the contrary. If he picked apart my work on a higher level, it would mean I didn't even get the gist of animation instead of the minute details. Anyway, I turned the assignment in and waited. I knew when the iPhone dinged at 9:15PM it was him... "You have received a new critique!" A click later, I went straight to my grade instead of the critique. There it was, the holy grail and man, I drank from it with a huge "WAHOO!" I raced to the critique, listened to his ideas on my Stu pose and watched the time tick by. The critique was only 7 minutes long and 3/4 of the way through it he hadn't looked at my walk. After he finished (with great information, by the way), he said he was going to check out my walk. One loop of the animation.... he stared.... second loop... "Nice"... third loop... "All right" - a little more excitement... fourth loop... "Man, I think you nailed it." That's all I needed to hear. I was stoked. The words that really hit me were his last few, which made it worth staying up until 5AM and making sure I was hard on myself about the details...

"You know, for a Vanilla Walk, this totally works. I wanna see how you did it (animation gibberish I won't bore you with). The knees aren't popping or anything.. All right! Sweet! He he. I'm so happy to see that, that's great. Cool man, well, I got nothing to say. Nice job Micah." I'm speechless too. Thanks Mark!

"If you don't walk on 12's, you're not normal." - Richard Williams

1 comment:

  1. The enthusiasm and dedication you have for your art is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete